One-on-One Sessions are recommended for:
- Families on a strict budget
- Families who don’t mind paying more per hour. The single sessions have an hourly rate that involves a lower level of commitment to working with School Match 4U, but it is more expensive on a per-hour basis than the Bronze, Silver, or Gold plans.
- Families who are primarily concerned with getting answers to very specific questions
- Families deciding if they want individual sessions versus a more comprehensive package, and they want to try single sessions before making a longer commitment.
- Families who are only looking for help with essays. This could be a personal statement, college-specific essays, scholarship essays, or résumés.
- Families who want to have some sessions with Dr. Lisa Rouff to take advantage of her expertise as a clinical psychologist and a college counselor
- Families who primarily want some targeted work done to help identify a college major/career that is a good match for their child
- Families who only want some targeted work done that focuses on helping students find and win scholarships
- Families who primarily want to do some curriculum planning
- Families who primarily want help comparing aid awards or advice on how to request that a college adjust and improve its initial aid offer
- Families who want to begin to have some light conversations about college in sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth or the fall of tenth grade. The Bronze, Silver, and Gold plans are more appropriate for tenth- to twelfth-grade students.
- Families for whom the Bronze, Silver, or Gold plans do NOT meet their needs
- Families who want a School Match 4U college coach to review their current college list and give them feedback as to whether their current college list is balanced. Note, this review will NOT involve recommending colleges that are not currently on the student’s college list. In order for colleges to be recommended that are NOT on the student’s current college list, the family must select from the Bronze, Silver, or Gold plans. College list recommendations are included with all three of those plans. School Match 4U college coaches take recommending colleges very seriously, and they only make recommendations after they have thoroughly reviewed all student records and put several hours into scouring the country to make sure they are presenting a comprehensive college list that is a good match and fit for your child. The recommended colleges also come with a multi-page report, but the analysis of your college list in the Single Session plan will let students and parents know if their current list is balanced. If it is not balanced, the School Match 4U college coach you are working with will let you know how it is imbalanced, but the coach will not recommend additional colleges, mostly because they do not do this without first doing substantial research, but also because it isn’t fair to those who have paid for a Bronze, Silver, or Gold plan partly to get a comprehensive list of colleges to visit and research.
- The analysis of whether the colleges on your child’s current college list fall into any of the following categories is based on our professional experience: Unlikelys or Long Shots (under 15% chance of admission); Reach/Stretch or Challenge Schools (15–40%); Possibles (40–70%), Probables (70–95%) and Safetys (95–100%). This analysis is included in the Bronze, Silver, and Gold plans, but this can be done (without specific college recommendations) through Single Sessions. In order to have this analysis completed through Single Sessions, the School Match 4U college coach you are working with will take 90–120 minutes to review your completed student/parent questionnaire (which they will send you), your child’s academic records, activities, a teacher recommendation, and your School Match 4U college coach will do the appropriate research on the schools on your child’s current college list. Your School Match 4U college counselor will send you a one-page teacher recommendation that School Match 4U has created that is user friendly for your teacher but is also very revealing for us to help us understand how teachers see your student in the context of the classroom. Your college coach will then have a 60-minute Zoom or phone call with either just the parent, or with the student and the parent to let you know which categories your schools fall into. Sometimes it is not clear which selectivity bucket a school falls in, and when that occurs, a school may fall into two selectivity tiers. Some schools are so selective that almost every applicant will be in the Reach, Stretch, or Challenge bucket. The entire time for this evaluation and presentation is two and a half to three hours, so this specific service will be billed at a flat rate of $375.
Details about One-on-One Sessions
- Can be done in-person, via video conferencing, or by phone
- $150 for 60 minutes or $90 for 30 minutes. Single sessions are not available for 15 minute meetings.
- Payment should be made in advance if you are just scheduling one session for 30 or 60 minutes. Payments should be made via Zelle, the Cash App, Venmo, PayPal “Friends and Family,” Certified Check, Personal Check, Money Order, or Credit Card
- If you are flexible when it comes to payment, our preference is electronic payments: Venmo, Zelle, PayPal “Friends and Family,” and the Cash App.
- There is a 4% surcharge for PayPal “Good and Services” and credit card payments because that is what we are charged if you use these. Our second choices are these two options, but you have to be okay with the 4% surcharge of $6 on a $150 payment or a $3.60 charge on a 90 minute meeting.
- We accept money orders through Western Union, cashier’s checks, and personal checks, but we have found that cashier’s checks and personal checks can take over a week to arrive, and therefore they are our least favorite method of payment.
- If you are booking a lot of sessions in a week, or if you are paying for a School Match 4U coach to do research or essay reviews via audio or Google Docs, and if you do not know how much time it will take (like when a lot of essays are being reviewed), billing can be done at the end of the week. Billing will be done for any work done from Sunday-Saturday.
- Invoices sent on Sunday should be paid within 48 hours (Tuesday).
- Schedules permitting, sessions can be extended by 15-minute intervals for $45 per each additional 15 minutes. This decision can be made at the end of the 60-minute session. If this is of interest to you, just ask your college coach if they have another 15 minutes at the end of your 60-minute session.
- Hourly sessions can only be booked for 30 or 60 minutes. Sessions shorter than 30 minutes can be booked only with the approval of the School Match 4U college coach.
Note: Monthly one-on-one sessions can be useful for families wanting to start the college process early, to stay on track, but who don’t want the college process to overwhelm their lives. It should be noted that Single Sessions do not include free unlimited emails or text messages throughout the month like the Silver and Gold plans include. There is no charge for the occasional email or text, but longer emails or texts can be included in hourly billing.
Payment can be remitted using any of the following:
- Venmo: Search for Mark Stucker, and you will see @Mark-Stucker, which is Mark’s Venmo ID. You will also see Mark’s photo. Just send Mark Stucker a friend request on Venmo, and he will accept it.
- The Cash App ($MarkStucker is Mark’s ID or 404-664-4340). You will see Mark’s photo.
- Zelle (email@example.com)
- PayPal. For PayPal, use “Friends and Family” (use firstname.lastname@example.org to send money via PayPal) and NOT “Goods and services” or PayPal will levy a 4.0% fee on Mark that we will have to pass on to you. You will not incur this 4% fee if you select the “Friends and Family” option in PayPal.
- You can also use PayPal to pay via credit card, even if you do not have a PayPal account, but a 4.0% fee will be charged to you because this is what PayPal charges for credit cards, and it is also what they charge when “Goods and Services” and not “Friends and Family” is selected.